Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bare Escentuals Refillable Buffing Brush

I drew the refillable buffing brush out of the surprise jar last month and have kept it in my purse since then.  This is not a product I would have ever purchased for myself, so I was very happy to try it.  Last spring, I had purchased a similar item from Sephora and was unimpressed, so I hoped that the Bare Escentuals version would be different.

I filled it about a quarter of the way full with Mineral Veil using the little plastic scooper the brush comes with.  The brush head comes off for washing and is attached to the main barrel with magnets (I don't think the Sephora brand brush could do that.)!  The bristles are some of the softest I've felt on a BE brush.  There has been minimal shedding and no bristle breakage, though I do have to be very careful when I put the cap back on the brush.

The performance of this brush was less than perfect.  It took a lot of effort to get the Mineral Veil flowing through the brush and even more effort to get it diffused through the bristles enough where the brush could be used.

When I used it to actually touch up during the middle of the day, the brush ended up taking off my foundation coverage, leaving me with a really ugly, streaky look.  Not. Attractive.  At.  All.

That pretty much spelled the end of this brush for me.  I wonder if the brush would work better for someone with less oily skin since the foundation seems to become a semi-fluid layer on my skin towards the end of the day.  Amazingly, it's a semi fluid layer that stays put only if you touch it with blotting linens or a brush with spread out bristles ie. the soft sweep cheek brush.  Anything else takes it right off.

Cost: $29.50 at Boutiques, Sephora, Nordies, Ulta.   I say this is not worth it if you have super oily skin like me.  If I had actually paid money for this, I would have returned it already.  But I didn't pay for it, and my guy at the boutique says it's not returnable.  So I guess I'm keeping it.    If you have dry skin and you love this brush, can you tell me about your experience?

Photo credit: self

2 comments:

  1. have you tried the new pink one? I had the same problems with the black one, and after using the pink I don't have issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried the pink one. I heard on Mineral Madness that some ladies were having trouble with the pink one because it leaked all over their purses. I'll take a look next time I'm in the boutique though! Thank you for the recommendation!

    It certainly would be nice to be able to touch up with actual MV during the day. An MV touch up lasts longer than a blotting sheet touch up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails