Friday, January 15, 2010

BE + Shiseido

I found out about this really late last night.  My initial reaction was surprise, but after reading the press release, it seemed pretty clear that BE was doing this bring their line to Asia, which I think is a great idea.  Shiseido is highly respected in Asia and they already have a lot of distribution in place.  I don't know if eventually Shiseido will carry BE in their boutiques or if Shiseido will help BE get counters in malls around Asia.  Either way, it seems like a win for BE and for Leslie. 

A lot of folks are worried about changes in ingredients and quality, but Leslie talked to the mods of BE Addicts and Mineral Madness and told them that everything, including the product formulas were going to stay the same in the US.  I'm not going to worry about it until Leslie leaves or the product changes.

Another group of folks are worried about manufacturing being moved outside of the US.  I would urge those folks to do a little research in their makeup collection.  A lot of BE's stuff is already manufactured outside of the US.  In my opinion, the kindest thing I can say about the folks who are saying they will only buy American, is that they haven't done their homework. 

Leslie and the people around here were bright enough to pull the brand out of obscurity in the 90s.  I'm sure she and the others involved in the decision were well informed.

In any case, Shiseido makes some really great, high quality cosmetics (I do not have similar feelings about their skin care, so let's avoid comments about how Shiseido's skin care line did such-and-such to so-and-so).  All things considered, I'm glad that BE was purchased by a respectable Japanese company; things could be a LOT worse.  I'm not sure there's much else to say about this matter unless BE's products change.

I feel bad for all the negativity BE's getting on their facebook page.  I think they anticipated this though.  Hopefully, the immediate backlash dies down over the weekend and we can all go about business as usual.

6 comments:

  1. is *anything* fully made in the USA anymore?!
    Honestly, I'd never heard for Shiseido until yesterday and wouldn't you know I saw the counter while walking through macy's today?! :)

    I don't get the hubbub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, those are some nasty comments. People just don't like any kind of change, do they?

    I don't see any reason to panic - and there is never an excuse to be rude. The worst that happens is BE changes their products and I switch to another brand. But as I'm a bit of an optimist, perhaps BE will become even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there was a way to edit comments. I really, really, really don't understand the buy-American crowd. First of all, some of these women who scream buy-American use the eye cream and the mascaras, which are not made in the US. I just don't believe that they couldn't find another mascara that could serve their needs that is made in America.

    I think they're just frightened. And expressing it by saying "I only buy American when I have the choice." Well there's plenty of American made mascaras and eye creams, but they're still using BE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. The whole "Buy American" thing is kind of short-sighted. Lots of foreign-based companies make things in the USA and provide a lot of jobs. Like it or not, we have a global economy.

    For me, I go for quality, value and eco-friendly, something that I can't always find in American made products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely consider quality and value very highly when I look at purchases. I've only recently been conscious of eco-friendly products though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails