Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ole Henriksen Grease Relief Face Tonic

My friend, Naomi, tried this item before I did.  It says "tonic," but it's a toner.  I've always been a little wary of toners because I always heard they could break you out if you're not careful, but she said this one was really, really good.  She told me it was effective at drying up the grease on her face, and she did not break out.

Then a few months ago, I was in San Francisco sans makeup.  The sudden change in weather from LA to SF made my skin incredibly greasy so I tried some at the big Sephora near Union Square.  It really dried up the oil quickly!  I commented that the tonic smelled like my grandmother - kind of Chinese-herb-y - and this funny sales rep who was walking by said:
"Oh I looooove smelling like my grandma.  She's got eye brows up to HERE and says 'don't I look good?' and I say 'Oh grandma, I love you.'" 
I thought that was just the funniest random thing a sales person has ever said to me.

My skin remained oil-free the rest of the day and didn't feel too dry.  I ended up buying it when I got back to LA and have slowly been integrating it into my routine.  I use it at least once a day in the morning before the Truth Serum.

For those of you concerned about the color of the tonic, I don't think it's a huge issue here.  The tonic/toner is light blue and transparent, but when you pour it onto a cotton pad, you don't see much, if any of the color, so I think there's too little dye in the product for it to have any adverse effects on your skin.

I pour a little bit onto a cotton pad and run it over just my problem areas, usually my cheeks, chin and forehead

So far,  I have not broken out from this product.  If I'm particularly oily on any given day, I'll use it at night before I apply the Invigorating night gel.

I really like it, but I wouldn't recommend this toner if you have normal or dry skin, and I probably would avoid it if I had combination skin all over too.  The good news is that Ole Henriksen makes several other toners for other skin types that you can try too!  This tonic works so well for me though that I don't think I'll stray!

Cost: $30 @ Sephora.  There certainly are cheaper toners out there, but I'm very much in the buy-it-if-it-works camp.  Not only that, Sephora's generous return policy means that if it breaks you out after a month, you can return it.  It's not always that easy to make returns out there.

I will definitely be purchasing this product again.


Photo credit: Sephora.com

2 comments:

  1. OOOo this sounds like a promising toner! most toners usually strip your natural oils off and makes you even more oilier :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one doesn't do that at all! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails