Thursday, July 8, 2010

Urban Decay De Slick Spray & Gel Review

I've talked in the past about how oily my skin is, so I'm always eager to try out new oil control products.  I did a bit of research before I purchased these two items, and they have mixed reviews.  So I had to try it out for myself!  It seems like how well they work for you depends largely on how oily your skin naturally in.

I've only used these two products for a few days, almost a week with the spray, but it's been enough time to form an opinion. 


De Slick Spray:

This spray promises to control oil and help your makeup stay put for 16 hours.  Hold the bottle about 6" away from your face and spray enough so that your face is covered.

I love two things about this spray.
  1. My makeup doesn't melt off.
  2. My mascara doesn't smudge AT ALL if I spray my face correctly.
Unfortunately, I didn't find that this controlled oil as much as promised.  It did slow down oil production a bit though.

I do my normal skin care for the morning, then apply eye shadow and mascara.  I spritz once, then do the rest of my face.  Before I apply mineral veil, I spritz two or three times more, so that every part of my face gets a bit of the spray.  After the spray dries, I put on mineral veil, lip gloss, and I'm done!  It's a quick, easy addition to my routine. 

I hope this spray eventually becomes available at Sephora.  If you're in Southern California, I got my bottle from the UD counter at Macy's in South Coast Plaza. 

Jump to read more!



Cost: $29 @ UrbanDecay.com.  It's really expensive for a setting spray, but it's manufactured by a very reputable source, Skindinavia.  It's much better than MAC's Fix+, the only other setting spray I've used.  Fix+ actually makes me appear more greasy, so while De Slick doesn't stop oil, at least it slows it down.

Without this spray, I can only wear waterproof or tubing mascara.  Waterproof mascara actually smudges a little bit, but I can deal with it.  Non-waterproof formulas don't even last all day on me though.  I love, love, love, love that this sets my mascara too.  

I don't know if that's enough to spend $30 on a setting spray though.  As of right now, I'm on the fence about whether or not I would repurchase it.


De Slick in a Tube:

When I went to the Urban Decay counter to pick up the setting spray, the sales lady first tried to sell me De Slick in a Tube. It's a beige gel that goes on clear.  It's supposed to tighten your pores, which not all oil control products promise.  It's very mattifying, and you can see it work right away.  So my immediate impression was "WOW!!  This is amazing! This is a Holy Grail product!"  But after using it for a few days, I realized it has a few drawbacks.
  1. It reacts with my skin care.  I cannot use it if I also use Ole Henriksen's Truth Serum.  It makes the moisturizer, Sheer Transformation, pill up.  Pretty gross.
  2. It's difficult to blend mineral foundation on top of this product. 
  3. It's hard to spread about because it dries extremely fast.
For me, these are very serious problems.  The makeup I do manage to get on my skin stays on all day, but it's nearly impossible to conceal spots.

This also doesn't prevent oil from coming through.  In fact, the oil comes through in a very unusual fashion - it literally pools up in my pores, on my nose. I can blot it away without disturbing the makeup underneath, but it looks really unusual.  I don't like it. 

You're supposed to be able to apply more of the gel over makeup to help control oil throughout the day, but it's just not practical for me.  I work in a big building full of labs.  Even though I constantly wash my hands, I still avoid touching my face until I get home.  You never know who's touched what.   Staying matte is important to me, but not as important as clear skin. 

Cost: $28 @ Sephora.  Sadly, this product is not worth it if you use mineral foundation.  I don't use liquid foundation, so I can't say if it will work if you use liquid foundation.  Who knows, it might work well under that.  In any case, I'd spend money on the setting spray over the mattifying gel any day.

Since I can't make the mattifying gel work in my routine, I'm taking this product back to the store. 


Photo credit: UrbanDecay.com, Sephora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails